What is Bio Diesel?
- Biodiesel is a clean burning renewable fuel made using natural vegetable oils and fats.
- Biodiesel is made through a chemical process which converts oils and fats of natural origin into fatty acid methyl esters (FAME). Biodiesel IS NOT vegetable oil.
- Biodiesel is intended to be used as a replacement for petroleum diesel fuel, or can be blended with petroleum diesel fuel in any proportion.
- Biodiesel does not require modifications to a diesel engine to be used.
- Biodiesel has reduced exhaust emissions compared to petroleum diesel fuel.
- Biodiesel has lower toxicity compared to petroleum diesel fuel.
- Biodiesel is safer to handle compared to petroleum diesel fuel.
- Biodiesel quality is governed by ASTM D 6751 quality parameters.
- Biodiesel is biodegradable.
What is not Bio Diesel
Look Carefully! Many companies and groups improperly use the word biodiesel to describe diesel fuel replacement products they have developed. This creates significant confusion for consumers looking to purchase and use biodiesel. Some of these alternatives have not been properly tested and could lead to damage to vehicles. Below is some information to help distinguish real biodiesel from imposters. What biodiesel IS NOT:
- Biodiesel is not vegetable oil.
- Biodiesel is not vegetable oil diluted with solvents, i.e. diesel fuel or alcohols.
- Biodiesel is not vegetable oil with “special additives” to make it run better.
- Biodiesel is not vegetable oil refined through a conventional oil refinery process.
- Biodiesel is not vegetable oil refined through thermal depolymerization (renewable diesel).
- Biodiesel is not a fuel that requires costly modifications to your diesel engine (straight vegetable oil).
- Biodiesel is not crude methyl esters which have not been refined or minimally refined.
Advantages of Bio Diesel
- Non-Toxic and biodegradable
- Lower green house gas emission than conventional diesel.
- Lower exhaust emission from engine.
- Better fuel properties such as carbon number, sulphur content.
- Higher flash point than convention diesel so low probability of fire hazard.